Corona Geek On Air episode 19 is ready for your comments!
This week we hung out with special guest Mohamed Hamedi to talk about Corona Labs recent acquisition of Game Minion. We announced a new Corona Labs t-shirt winner, discussed Project Gluon, and shared where you can find an inexpensive iPad mini bluetooth keyboard case.
Thanks for watching,
- Mohamed Hamedi - Game Minion
- Brian Burton - Author of Mobile App Development with Corona: Getting Started
- Toff Ward - Developer / Geek / Gnome Hunter
- Charles McKeever - Developer / Gamer / Runner
If you are new to the conversation, the Corona SDK is a cross platform mobile development tool kit that makes it easy for developers to create native applications for Android and iOS devices as well as for Kindle, and Nook. You can find out more about the Corona SDK at CoronaLabs.com.
Show Notes - 12/17/2012
- Win a Corona T-Shirt! - Corona Labs has generously volunteered to supply Corona t-shirts for giveaways to the Corona Geek community. To be eligible to win, follow Corona Geek on either Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or YouTube, then complete the giveaway entry form for a chance to win. Congratulations to David Oshiro, who won this week's Corona Labs t-shirt.
- Corona Cloud - Last Thursday Corona Labs announced that they had acquired Game Minion and would be working to integrate the service as part of their new Corona Cloud service. During today's hangout we talked with Mohamed Hamedi about the service to see how it would affect existing Game Minion users and Corona SDK users. Be sure to watch the hangout with Mohamed for details.
Lastest Build Release Notes
- Several bug fixes have been added to the daily build. Be sure to check the build notes for details.
Corona Blog highlights
- Project Gluon - Corona Labs is working to create a plugin infrastructure that will allows third party developers to create add-on plugins for adding third party services without breaking the Corona SDK core code. After reading Walter Luh's Project Gluon blog post, it sounds like they are creating something similar to the way WordPress works. WordPress allows developers to create plugins that extend the features and capabilities of a WordPress website without requiring modifications to the WordPress core code. This model has worked extremely well for WordPress, so hopefully Corona Labs will be able to pull off the same thing for the Corona SDK.
- Hanging with Mohamed Hamedi - This week we hung out with Mohamed Hamedi from Game Minion. Mohamed shared some great insights into how Game Minion handles the backend services for game developers. Mohamed explained what Game Minion is, how it fits into the Corona SDK family, and what developers can expect in terms of pricing and service offering. He also shared that Game Minion will be rebranded as Corona Cloud, but that the service will be optional for developers and than even game developers outside of the Corona SDK will be able to use the Corona Cloud services. Mohamed also shared some exciting news about the new updates to the analytics that will be rolled out as part of the Corona Cloud service. He highlighted the fact that analytics will be automatic and real-time. That's really exciting. Be sure to watch the full hangout with Mohamed for full details.
- If you have an app development or Corona SDK question you'd like answered, send us a message and let us know. We'd love to discuss your questions on the show.
Device / Industry News
- Informal poll - What mobile device will you be buying or receiving this holiday season? I say the iPad mini will be a big seller, but the rest of the hangout panel was mixed on their usage and desire to buy. Be sure to watch the end of today's hangout to hear everyone's responses.
- iPad mini Bluetooth Keyboard Case - during today's show I shared that I had purchased an iPad mini bluetooth keyboard case off of Amazon for $5 and it works great. I wasn't sure how well the case would be constructed or how well the keyboard would work when I bought it, but I have been very VERY pleased with both. The bluetooth keyboard was a snap to set up, and the stitching on the case is rock solid. It's turned my iPad mini into a laptop replacement on the road and it's also increased my usage of the mini as a secondary workstation at my desk. If you are looking for a case for yourself, family, or friends, save yourself a bunch of money and check out this iPad mini bluetooth keyboard case . Last weekend I saw full size iPad keyboard cases in the mall for $100 and this one works exactly the same. - UPDATE: I double checked the price just now and it looks like the cases are now being sold at full price. I guess I should have ordered several of them to give out as Christmas gifts, but the price is still very reasonable so check it out anyway and let me know what you think if you buy one.
- Game Minion is expected to be rebranded in Q1 as Corona Cloud and is now in closed beta. Don't let the Corona label or the beta status fool you though. According to Mohamed Hamedi at Game Minion, the service will be available as a separate cloud service for app developers, even if they don't use the Corona SDK. So if you haven't already, be sure to sign up for the Game Minion / Corona Cloud closed beta and start working on the cloud features of your next app.
- On December 24th and December 31st we will NOT have live hangouts due to the holidays. However, we will be posting videos on those days so be sure to Follow CoronaGeek on Twitter, subscribe on YouTube, circle us on Google+, and Like us on Facebook to receive updates once they are available.
- Thank you for watching, listening, and supporting the show. Happy holidays to you and yours.
Listen and Rate!
- Rate the Corona Geek podcast on iTunes
- Listen and rate on Stitcher
- Get the Corona SDK Quick Reference Chrome Extension